Urogynecology is a subspecialty of gynecology and obstetrics that deals with female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. Urogynecologists are medical professionals who identify and treat diseases of the pelvic floor, such as weak bladder or prolapsed pelvic organs (your organs drop because the muscles are weak).

The pelvic floor is the area of the body that houses your urinary bladder, reproductive system, and rectum.

What’s the difference between a urologist and a urogynecologist?

The difference between urologists and urogynecologists is that while urologists treat disorders of the urinary system in both men and women, urogynecologists only treat women. Like how urogynecologists are specialists in treating difficulties with the female reproductive system and pelvic floor, urologists do not address concerns with these systems in women.

Urogynecologists care for women with pelvic floor disorders using a blend of gynecology, urology, and reconstructive surgery techniques.

What conditions are treated by a Urogynecologist?

A range of pelvic illnesses and disorders are treated by urogynecologists. These issues can occasionally arise because of birthing trauma, regular heavy lifting, or other strenuous exercise. Among the conditions that urogynecologists treat is:

• Urinary and Bowel incontinence
• Prolapse of the uterus, bladder, or cervix
• Pelvic pain and Endometriosis
• Fibroid uterus
• Frequent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
• Fistulas

Why You Should Visit a Urogynecologist?

Pelvic floor problems can have a negative impact on quality of life even though they are often not life-threatening. For instance, a urogynecological issue can interrupt social life and relationships, create pelvic pain and suffering, and make it difficult to urinate, move about, engage in sexual activity, or defecate. Urinary or fecal leakage, as well as issues with your menstrual cycle, may also have an impact on your day-to-day life and self-confidence. These issues can be embarrassing to talk about, but they can lead to serious health concerns if left untreated.

Visiting a urogynecologist may be a good choice if you:

• Something protruding from your vagina or a bulge in your vagina
• Leaking urine
• Frequent or Urgent peeing
• Frequent urinary tract infections
• Pelvic discomfort during sex
• Pelvic Pain

Urogynecologist asses your condition and recommend treatments tailored toward improving the symptoms and pelvic condition as a whole. 

We treat women with pelvic floor and urogynecological conditions through a range of comprehensive and integrated surgical and non-surgical approaches. In addition to behavioral and medical care of incontinence, we also provide non-surgical therapies such as medicines, pessaries, pelvic floor physical therapy, biofeedback, electrical stimulation, urge suppression, and urge control.

Being experts in the area of pelvic medicine and surgery, we only provide minimally invasive treatments—such as state of the art robotic surgery (da Vinci) and laparoscopic surgery—but also offer a variety of vaginal approach surgical procedures along with non-surgical treatment options.